by Aziza Uko
When you hear anything, examine it under the lenses of God’s Word. Don’t just embrace anything you hear because it was said by someone you respect. Let me just show you some examples of wrong teachings that are so popular but actually contrary to God's Word.
1. God works in mysterious way. – That’s wrong. God reveals His ways to those He loves.
2. Heaven helps those who help themselves. – That’s wrong. Our help comes from the LORD only and you don't get things started and God joins you later.
3. Love and trust go hand in hand. – That’s wrong. God loves us and doesn’t trust us. He is the perfect example of love and if He can love us without trusting us then love and trust don’t go hand in hand.
4. You must be compatible to your spouse to have a happy marriage. – That’s not true. There is even no such thing as two individuals who are compatible.
5. For a marriage to work, the two of them must work together to agree. – Agreement takes only one person. So a marriage can work with the knowledge and action of only one partner in the marriage.
6. God uses sickness and trials to teach us patience. – God doesn’t use anything evil to teach His children anything. God is good. There’s no evil in Him.
7. Too much sex in marriage is gluttony. – I don’t even know where to start on this one. Gluttony is not about sex, it is about food. There’s no such thing as too much sex in marriage. Sex is for married people. God wants you to have sex 24 hours a day if you can. He does not regulate sex in marriage.
8. Apostle Paul was never married. – Nobody we can really tell what his relationship status had always been. He was a member of the Sanhedrin and you must be married to be accepted into the Sanhedrin. Nothing is none about Apostle Paul before the stoning of Stephen. All we know is that he was living like a bachelor at the time who wrote the letters to the churches and some Christians which were later included in the Bible.
9. The Bible says drink but don’t be drunk. – Invention of men. The Bible says no such thing, the Bible also does not say, “The voice of men is the voice of God.”, nor does it say, “When in Rome, behave like the Romans.”, nor "Look before you leap.", nor "Cleanliness is next to godliness." nor does it say, "Man proposes, God disposes." The Bible doesn’t say many thing people create and say the Bible says.
10. It’s the role of a woman to make the marriage work, so if the marriage fails, it’s the fault of the woman. – YOU make your marriage work – whoever you are. YOU make your marriage work. It takes only YOU to make your marriage work.
11. If you want to hear from God, you must deny yourself the pleasures of life and live a life of austerity. - The right to hear from God is the heritage of every child of God. God can speak to any of His creatures at anytime. What propels His revelation is not our self denial - it is His pleasure.
12. God deals with pastors differently from the rest of us. That is why they have such wonderful experiences. – No. God has no special standard for any Christian. It’s the same Word for all. If you know what they know and do what they do, you get the same result.
13. Sometimes, we can’t understand how God works. – We can always understand how God works. He reveals it to us in His Word. God does not change Who He is, neither does He break His law for anybody.
14. If you don’t pray against your enemies and return evil arrows, they will overpower you and kill you. – What rubbish! Then what is God’s job? Why didn’t evil arrows kill you when you did not know about back-to-sender prayers? Prayers are not something you do against anything. God’s responsibility is to protect you and He is perfect and never fails, He never sleeps nor slumbers.
15. Once you become a Christian, the kingdom of hell rises up against you. That is why unbelievers in the same family with you don’t have problems and you do. – Total nonsense. Once you become a Christian, that’s when the devil is put under your feet and you obtain dominion over the kingdom of darkness.
16. If you have a calling on your life, you have to be very careful so that the devil does not give you a wife who is a marine agent sent to destroy your life. – If a wife is a good thing, then the devil can’t give someone a wife. He has no good thing for anybody. If you keep on sniffing for demons, you’ll end up in hell. If you seek, you find. Stop looking out for demons in fellow Christians. Demons don’t live in Christians. The devil hates everybody not just ministers of the gospel.
17. You need to connect with a strong deliverance ministry to deliver you so that your problems will be over. – There is no such thing as deliverance ministry to start with. It is a massive fraud. No human being can deliver you. Jesus completed your deliverance when He died and He rose from the dead.
18. “Prayer is the key, prayer is the key, prayer is the master key. Jesus started with prayer and ended with prayer. Prayer is the master key.” – There’s key of David, key of the House of David, key of knowledge, key of the bottomless pit, and keys of the kingdom of heaven. None is prayer. None is described as the master key. Jesus did not “start” with prayer. I don’t even know what it is that is being said that Jesus started. Jesus was born a baby. Jesus last words on earth before He ascended were teachings and encouragement not prayer. Jesus didn’t end his ministry, His kingdom is forever.
19. You need to pray very hard in order to overcome the devices of the devil. – Prayer is not a tool for spiritual warfare. Prayer is communication between you and your Heavenly Father. Tricks of the devil are mind-games. What you need is to understand what spiritual warfare is, who your enemy is, what weapons he uses, where the battle is, and what weapons you use. Prayer is not one of the weapons. That’s why people who pray intensely may also suffer from tricks of the devil.
20. You are married in the spirit to a marine spirit, so that is why you can’t marry or enjoy your marriage. – A complete fable. Spirits don’t marry. There is no such thing as spirit wife, spirit husband, or spirit children. Spirits don’t have sex. They don’t reproduce. You can’t be married to someone without knowing it. There is no way you can be married to a demon. Just no way!
(c) 2011, Aziza
Uko. This work is the original work of the author and copyrighted. It
may not be reproduced in part or in whole in any form without the
permission of the author and proper acknowledgement.